Writer, editor and content marketing specialist
Jun 2011 – Present
I provide communications services for clients in various industries. Some key contracts / projects include:
- Marketing support for The Epicurean Club, including building email campaigns, producing social media content and copywriting (ongoing)
- Editing/commissioning six-page section in a UK sporting magazine every week (ongoing)
- Editing copy on behalf of Quill Content for brands including Gumtree Australia (ongoing)
- Writing US media pack & website copy for James Purdey & Sons’ 200th birthday press campaign
- Editing complicated briefing papers, working papers, website copy and annual report for the International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED)
- Production editing monthly superyacht magazine (six-month contract)
- Chief sub-editing/production editing weekly equestrian magazine (six-month contract)
- Content editor/managing editor on weekly country sports magazine (12-month contract)
Blogger & reviewer at Readingmattersblog.com
Mar 2004 – Present
I review an eclectic mix of modern and contemporary literature, specialising in fiction from Australia and Ireland, on Readingmattersblog.com, one of the world’s first blogs dedicated to literature. Set up in 2004, before anyone really knew what a blog was, it now features more than 1,000 book reviews, is consistently ranked in the top 20 UK book blogs and was shortlisted for the UK Blog Awards in 2015.
Through my blog, I have also been invited to write for other online publications, including:
- Penguin (see my readers’ guide to the novels of Richard Flanagan)
- Shiny New Books (various reviews, plus my interview with Tim Winton)
- Waterstone’s (see my blog post on five journalism novels)
Head of Communications & Brand at The Epicurean Club, London UK
Oct 2016 – Dec 2018
This start-up is a loyalty and reward scheme for a collection of boutique countryside inns and London pubs
I was involved from the outset, so my role was agile and changed as the business developed and grew. My main responsibilities embraced content production, marketing, branding, stakeholder management and product development.
- Developing and leading strategies for communication and marketing
- Defining (and defending) the brand guidelines and writing the style guide
- Planning and producing all content for multiple channels (website, email campaigns, fortnightly Epicurean Digest, app, social media and printed collateral, including a members’ handbook)
- Managing/editing the website www.epicurean.club
- Managing all marketing activations for key partners, including MasterCard Priceless Cities and Tesla
- Managing and measuring social campaigns with clear budget and KPI requirements
- Securing positive media coverage for the Club in The Rural Travel Guide, Hello magazine and various online travel sites and lifestyle networks
- Setting up partnerships with third parties to provide activities, events & product
- Curating experiences, itineraries and events for our guests
Various roles (managing editor, deputy editor & editor) at Time Inc, UK
Jun 2002 – Nov 2010
At Time Inc, UK I worked on several quintessentially British magazines, all published weekly, in the specialist sports and hobbies division of the company. I had various senior hands-on roles in writing, commissioning, editing and production in titles covering high-level equestrian sport, shooting, conservation and birdlife.
This experience helped me to develop a strong editorial eye for spotting a good story, as well as knowing how to present it in an informative and engaging way, both online and in print. And because I was a generalist working in specialist subject areas I learned to pick things up quickly, to research anything I didn’t know and to never be afraid to bring a new perspective to the table.
Various roles (senior reporter & production editor) at Haymarket Publishing, UK
Nov 1998 – May 2002
At Haymarket Publishing, then the UK’s biggest privately owned magazine publisher, I worked on the B2B weekly magazine, Planning, which was the official journal of the Royal Town Planning Institute. As a senior reporter, I covered stories on transport, regeneration, new development, housing, sustainability and conservation. Later, I worked on a spin-off e-commerce website, Planning Direct, developing the production workflow for getting more than 50,000 government documents online, before moving back to the magazine as production editor.
Reporter at Giles Newspapers Ltd, Victoria, Australia
Apr 1996 – Aug 1998
I worked across two weekly provincial newspapers — Great Southern Star and Yarram Standard News — writing stories spanning crime to agriculture, as well as taking photographs and writing headlines to go with my copy. It was a brilliant training ground for coming up with story ideas, juggling competing deadlines and building relationships with key players in the community.